Stacy McCain nails it.
In other words, the important thing about this crime — the thing that made it worth eight minutes of national network air time — was that it gave Chris Matthews a chance to stoke the paranoia of MSNBC viewers with the bogeyman specter of dangerously violent racists who (as all MSNBC viewers know) are the core constituency of the Republican Party.
Fast-forward 11 days, and Chris Matthews is completely discredited by the latest headlines:
- KTVT: Sources: JP Eric Williams To Be Charged With Murders In Kaufman County
- Dallas Morning News: Ex-justice of peace is prime suspect in Kaufman DA slayings
- Dallas Morning News: Complex picture arises of ex-Kaufman justice of peace eyed in case
- London Daily Mail: Mystery Texas killings ‘solved’: Disgraced court official to be charged with murders of Texas district attorney, his wife and assistant DA after they convicted him of theft
- Pat Dollard: Update: Disgraced Government Official, Not Aryan Brotherhood, Killed Texas Prosecutors
Which reminds me of another critique of the Southern Poverty Law Center:
“We’re not really set up to cover the extreme Left.”
Maybe because… they are the extreme Left?